As we get older, we naturally accumulate aches and pains and one of the best ways to alleviate those aches and pains is a nice hot bath.
In fact, a hot bath is also a proven stress reliever. Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a challenge to get into a standard bath for many seniors – our bodies just aren’t as limber as they once were.
Worse, getting out of a standard bath can substantially increase the risk of falling over and doing severe damage to ourselves.
That’s where a walk-in tub comes into play. These are designed to be super easy to step into and out of and thus, you get your nice relaxing bath without putting yourself at risk.
We’ve found the best walk-in tubs on the market today for you to choose from. They’re all made to a high-standard and by reputable brands that you can rely on.
Our Best Walk-In Tubs
Ella Ultimate Walk-In Dual Air And Whirlpool Bathtub With Foot Massage
Fair pricing, high-quality workmanship, good sizing and user-friendly? That’s all to be found in this Ella bathtub model and it’s a very simple upgrade to an existing bathtub too.
1. One of the easiest walk-in tubs to install and to use
2. Very nice aesthetic which looks great in the bathroom
1. If you don’t have 2 x 120V wired connections, you’ll need to hire an electrician (not included in the installation price)
2. The air massage appears to be too strong for some users
American Standard Exclusive Series Right Hand Walk-In Whirlpool Tub
American standard has been producing reliable products for over 140 years now and this walk-in-tub is a reasonable price and can be delivered and installed nationwide.
1. One of the best “entry-level” walk-in tubs on the market
2. The safety features are excellent and hard-wearing
1. The door opens into the tub which can drive you crazy in some circumstances
2. You cannot use Epsom salts or essential oils with this bath
Universal Tubs HD Series Walk-In Soaking Bathtub
An ultra-budget conscious model from Universal Tubs but it doesn’t cut too many corners while keeping the price down. It also comes with a generous 12-year warranty!
1. Super low cost and it’s delivered for free too
2. Very easy to replace an existing bathtub with this model
1. The threshold of 8” is a bit high for some users
2. The door positioning is 6” from the end of the tub and that can make it hard to use in a small bathroom
ANZZI Walk-In Wide-Opening Tub
This is a full-featured walk-in tub at a very reasonable price point. You get 20 massage jets, 12 hydro-power jets and it’s absolutely huge! It also has a temperature safety-lock so you never run a bath that’s too hot.
1. Incredible amount of features for the price, many tubs would cost twice as much for this feature set
2. The finishing is very high-quality and feels robust
1. Almost no brand recognition and they only make one tub
2. The warranty details are not at all clear and it’s not guaranteed they can provide long-term support
Ella Bariatric Seat Air And Hydro Massage Whirlpool Walk-In-Tub
This is a super roomy tub and it doesn’t compromise on the amount of features that it provides. You can opt for right or left handed versions and it can hold up to 100 gallons of water!
1. A very wide tub that’s super comfortable to use
2. The supplied seat is also wide and comfortable
1. It’s a big bath and thus, it takes a long time for water to drain out of it
2. The swing-inwards door isn’t ideal for some users
1. The 3” threshold is super easy to navigate for most users
2. They offer far more customization options than most tub makers
1. They can be a bit secretive about pricing – we’d like more transparency
2. They use an inward-swinging door which isn’t great for some users
Ella Transfer26 Walk-In Tub
If you need a narrow door tub then this model from Ella ought to fit the bill nicely. It’s still 100% ADA compliant and offers all the features of larger baths from this manufacturer.
1. The seat is really comfortable and we like the bench-styling of it too
2. Perfect for people who live in homes with narrow access to the bathroom
1. The large capacity of this bath might mean you need to upgrade your water heater to properly fill it
2. You will need an electrician to install a dedicated breaker for this tub and that’s not included in the price
Ella Companion Walk-In-Whirlpool
Want a bath for two at a time? Look no farther than the Ella Companion, of course, you’ll need a fairly spacious bathroom to fit this in. It’s not the cheapest of walk-in tubs either at over $8,000!
1. If you want to bathe as a couple this is a superb solution
2. The safety features are excellent and top-quality
1. It isn’t cheap
2. The huge amount of control options can be confusing
Therapeutic Tubs HandiTub Whirlpool And Air Jetted Wheelchair Accessible Bathtub
This is, without doubt, the best fully wheelchair accessible walk in bath that we’ve tested. It’s completely ADA compliant as you’d expect given this. It’s also reasonably priced (though not cheap).
1. Oversized wheelchair access means it can be used by nearly everyone
2. Can handle users of up to 400 lbs in weight
1. No heated seat or backrest option
2. You may need a new water heater to be able to fill this tub with warm water
Universal Tubs Rampart Nova Walk-In Whirlpool Bathtub
Florida’s Universal Tubs makes the Rampart range of walk-in bathtubs and they’re excellent and we like the fact it also comes with a walk-in shower unit as part of the design.
1. An excellent walk-in tub and walk-in shower combination
2. Financing is easy to come by as they are sold exclusively via Home Depot
1. It doesn’t come with a manual – which makes it confusing at first
2. It’s a bit smaller than most walk-in baths
Final Thoughts On Best Walk-In-Tubs
So, there you have it. Our best walk-in tubs include something, we think, for everyone no matter what their individual needs are.
We’ve even managed to find some excellent performers that don’t cost a fortune, for those of us who don’t have unlimited pension funds to rely on.
If you need to raise funds for your walk-in tub why not check out our best paid jobs for retirees or learn how to turn your hobbies into money!